· Members List
· Private Messages
· Rsclean
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Surveys
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 232 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Scalebane - An Alliance Guild on Eredar: Forums

Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar :: View topic - Malchior; you already know me

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar Forum Index » Recruiting
malchior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote

As some may know, I left Scalebane once awhile back to play WoW with my rl friends, but soon learned that they all had left the server so I came back. This time I left on account of the spec I had chosen, which was retribution. A spec not to many paladins choose anymore because of the 0% use in the world of raiding and groups. Its true that i couldve stayed while I was ret but it was decided that only a holy or prot spec would be allowed in raids. With that I figured that it was pointless for me take up space so I left in order to find another raiding guild that would accept my spec in raids. Alas, I didnt have much luck in that catagory. So now, Im asking if I can once again join the ranks of Scalebane. Im fully prepared to respec to holy if thats what it takes for me to raid. Even if the guild needs no more paladins for the raids I would still like to join for the people. Ive been in many guilds im my years of WoW and few have come close to the warmth and friendship of Scalebane.
Dekstros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Its true that i couldve stayed while I was ret but it was decided that only a holy or prot spec would be allowed in raids. With that I figured that it was pointless for me take up space so I left in order to find another raiding guild that would accept my spec in raids

I don't recall you ever getting turned down because you were Ret. To restate, we don't require anyone to spec a certain way to get into raids. If there's a need for DPS, and you were one of the first to sign up, you would get a spot.
malchior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote

Quote:
We will be raiding 25-mans pretty soon, so I would like to know what role the Paladins of Scalebane would like to undertake. Do you want to heal, or do you want to tank? If I catch you online I'll ask you in game, but feel free to post what you would like to do here.

Note: the ONLY two options are healing or tanking.
Nycterwina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote

I believe that post's main point was to figure out what they would be doing in a raid, and not determining whether you may have a spot based on your spec. To be honest, a ret pally's dps just isn't on par w/ other dps classes so taking up a dps slot just can't work. However, there's nothing stopping you from healing with your ret spec, or being a backup tank in the raid. Either way, as long as you can fulfill the role asked of you, you would not be denied a spot based on your spec.
Raunwynn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote

thefedexguy wrote:
I believe that post's main point was to figure out what they would be doing in a raid, and not determining whether you may have a spot based on your spec. To be honest, a ret pally's dps just isn't on par w/ other dps classes so taking up a dps slot just can't work. However, there's nothing stopping you from healing with your ret spec, or being a backup tank in the raid. Either way, as long as you can fulfill the role asked of you, you would not be denied a spot based on your spec.

actually, ret paladin dps is a grey area right now.
most people assume it sucks because that is what everyone has been saying for the longest time.
i have been raiding with scalebane for a couple of years and have never seen a paladin dps in a raid.
i am going to guess that most other players have not seen it either.
i have also noticed that most people who claim paladins cannot dps are relatively uninformed about the mechanics of the class.
my advice to you malchior is to study how to dps from reputable dps paladins on the forums.
then open some eyes in 5 man groups if that is what you want to do.
most likely any success you have will be met with derision and contempt.
good luck to you paladin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote

Raunwynn wrote:
thefedexguy wrote:

most people assume it sucks because that is what everyone has been saying for the longest time.
i have been raiding with scalebane for a couple of years and have never seen a paladin dps in a raid.
i have also noticed that most people who claim paladins cannot dps are relatively uninformed about the mechanics of the class.
my advice to you malchior is to study how to dps from reputable dps paladins on the forums.

I don't know that it's so much someone not understanding the class, but moreso considering the overall contribution.

Can a paladin sustain as much DPS as a rogue? A mage? If that answer is yes, then come forth all DPS-adins!!!

In my experience, the same argument can be had for shadow priests. A good shadow priest with good +dmg gear can do some awesome damage. Really awesome. However, from a raiding standpoint, despite all the aforementioned, it doesn't stack up to the sustainable DPS of a rogue or a mage. Therefore, it makes little sense to sacrifice a "DPS slot" for a dedicated shadow priest. That said, if the same holds true for DPS-adins, then the same "rule" should apply.

Just my humble opinion. I used to be full-on shadow spec, and I've raided with Scalebane as such. And, in my opinion, it didn't make sense. My healing sucked as a shadow spec'd priest, and my DPS wasn't comparable to a DPS class. So, why bother? I heal.

My $0.02! Smile
Kruchev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Raunwynn wrote:
thefedexguy wrote:

Maximum DPS is rarely the criteria for a good DPS slot as a group (especially a 5 man) rarely need the MOST DPS but always needs the MOST CONTROLLED DPS.

The criteria for a good DPS slot is:

1. Good sustainable DPS -- pally's and shadow priests can both do this.
2. Aggro reducing abilities -- priests have them, Pally's don't.
3. CC -- Priests have 1, pally's don't

Pally's are a waste of a DPS slot, priests are not.

Sorry pally's.
malchior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote

There is no longer need to consider letting me back into Scalebane. I have gone off and joined Revival. Thanks for the advice though.
Borgyll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote

pally can give +3% crit to the full raid while priests can't. Cool
Kruchev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote

Daleanna wrote:

Pally can also give you blessings and tank.

Neither one makes them a good choice for a dps slot.
Scarab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote

Daleanna wrote:

Improved Divine Spirit increases damage and healing by 5% of the player's total spirit.

As Kruchev said, buffs shouldn't be an issue.
malchior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote

That was my point for leaving. A ret pally doesnt serve as a use for dps in raids. Althought blizz did improve the dps, there isnt enough actual attacks to even be considered a dps class. All they have is crusader strike and their seals and judgements to do damage but then the cooldowns screw the chance of actual dps.
Calisa
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote

Application withdrawn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:11 am Reply with quote

Calisa wrote:
Application withdrawn.

i think it was all the arguing.

View next topic
View previous topic