· Members List
· Private Messages
· Rsclean
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Surveys
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 255 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Scalebane - An Alliance Guild on Eredar: Forums

Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar :: View topic - LucasArts Clasics Month

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic Reply to topic  Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar Forum Index » Other Games
Konata
Senior Officer
Senior Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote

For those who remember them fondly, or those who never had a chance to play them, the following LucasArts classics or new titles are coming out this month.

July 7th
The Tales of Monkey Island (New episodic continuation by Telltale)

July 8th
Armed and Dangerous™
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
LOOM™
Star Wars Battlefront® II
Star Wars Republic Commando®
Star Wars Starfighter™
The Dig®
Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

July 15th
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (Remake of the first game with new graphics, full voice over, music, and UI overhaul).

It's going to be a very awesome month. I plan to pick up both the Monkey Island titles, Loom, Indy Atlantis, and The Dig. The middle chunk will definitely be on Steam, and likely the two Monkey Island titles as well, as they were in the Steam press release.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote

Quote:
July 7th
The Tales of Monkey Island (New episodic continuation by Telltale

Woohoo, ive always been a huge fan of those games!
Tullen
Guild Master
Guild Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Durkheim, Cyria and I have often discussed in the past how much we wanted another Monkey Island game, but we never thought it'd actually happen, I was quite excited when this was announced, and I'm really looking for to playing these.

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Hrm... nothing on Steam yet for Tales of Monkey Island, and Telltale Games' site is extremely slow (likely being hammered by fans waiting) but I can't find anything but the pre-order for all 5 episodes on their site. Personally I'd like to get it on Steam, so I think I'll wait until it pops up there.

Guild Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll also go with Steam.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Today was in Best Buy, so I thought I would check if Monkey Island was in yet. After browsing, and not finding it, I asked a young man in the gaming department if Monkey Island was in stock. He promptly lead me across the island and handed me this...lol.

Neither Best Buy or Gamespot's systems even lists this as a release. So I too will wait for Steam.

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Best Buy likely wouldn't have it until all 5 episodes are released like Sam & Max was. I've seen their Sam and Max season 1 box in there several times, but it wasn't until after the episodic release was finished. It seemed more like an afterthought to pick up some "game of the year edition" type sales from people late to the party to be honest.

Now whether or not the Monkey Island Special Edition gets a box release or not is a different story. I think it would be cool if it did, as it would potentially reach a larger audience being in stores, but something tells me it's more financially viable for them to go with PC digital download and XBox Live only. The fans will happily download from one of those sources, and it would save them a lot of distribution costs on a product that may very well tank with the general public.

Guild Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote

To be honest I think within the next 10 years, a physical copy of a game will be a novelty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Durkheim, Cyria and I have often discussed in the past how much we wanted another Monkey Island game, but we never thought it'd actually happen, I was quite excited when this was announced, and I'm really looking for to playing these.

my buddies back in Denmark and I was often talking about we wanted more of these games, seeing this is almost a dream coming true =)
going to be a real treat for us fans!!!
Konata
Senior Officer
Senior Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote

And episode 1 was awesome. Totally worth the $35 if all 5 episodes end up the same quality. As a note to those who haven't grabbed it already, controlling Guybrush with the W/A/S/D keys is much easier than the weird mouse control they came up with.

Guild Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Konata wrote:
And episode 1 was awesome. Totally worth the $35 if all 5 episodes end up the same quality. As a note to those who haven't grabbed it already, controlling Guybrush with the W/A/S/D keys is much easier than the weird mouse control they came up with.

I played a little last night, and so far so good. It definitely feels the same as the other games. I haven't had any laugh out loud moments yet, but still pretty amusing. I also agree totally on the control scheme. The mouse control is OK and takes some getting used to, but you're much better off with the WASD imo.

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote

And the middle block of classic titles are up on Steam now. The really old SCUMM titles are all $4.99, which is crazy cheap compared to what you'd pay on eBay to get ahold of them.

I think I'm going to pick up Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis first. It's been the longest since I played that one, and it has three paths to finish the game if I remember right. I only played one the first time, so it should be fun going back and finishing the other two routes as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote

As sad as it is, I laughed out loud at the inside-jokes.

"I'm selling these fine leather jackets."

Looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

As for the old SCUMM titles, I have all of them. But I'm going to buy them anyway. 5 bucks is a good price to have steam track them for me, rather than have to carry them each over to each PC I get in the future.

And I agree with your first choice. Fate of Atlantis will certainly be the one I pick up first.

If Day of the Tentacle was up there, that would be my first choice. I still have the original CD within reach. It is my favorite adventure game, even above the MI games and the rest.

"I never had an opinion in politics or religion which I was afraid to own. A costive reserve on these subjects might have procured me more esteem from some people, but less from myself." -Thomas Jefferson
Tullen
Guild Master
Guild Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure how well it holds up, but I also recommend "The Dig' I really enjoyed that game.

I believe after I installed it, I had to play it until the end. <3 Lucasarts adventure games. I read in an article the other day, that the new president of LucasArts wants to bring back Adventure games and that these new Monkey Island games are the first step. Some hopefully we'll be seeing some new original content as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote

MANIAC MANSION DAY OF THE TENTACLE PLXZ

"I never had an opinion in politics or religion which I was afraid to own. A costive reserve on these subjects might have procured me more esteem from some people, but less from myself." -Thomas Jefferson

View next topic
View previous topic