· Members List
· Private Messages
· Rsclean
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Surveys
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 155 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Scalebane - An Alliance Guild on Eredar: Forums

Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar :: View topic - Skyrim Review

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic Reply to topic  Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar Forum Index » Other Games
Tullen
Guild Master
Guild Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-10-the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-review

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Been reading the reviews and will definitely buy it..when I have more time. Also...trying to decide on PC or PS3 version. Maybe Santa will bring it!

Guild Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Passion wrote:
Been reading the reviews and will definitely buy it..when I have more time. Also...trying to decide on PC or PS3 version. Maybe Santa will bring it!

I highly recommend going PC, not only because I prefer the interface of keyboard and mouse, but because you can use user made mods later to get more life out of the game down the road.

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Okay, so, um... there was a minor accident with an arrow and a chicken that resulted in almost the entire first town being slaughtered before I could finish any quests there. So I went to the next city where I was promptly thrown in jail, and from there I regathered lost supplies/gear and started doing quests there. So my question is... did I fuck up the main story line quest chain completely? I'd rather start over with only 4 hours lost than play another session and find out even later I can't beat the game.

On a side note, I think it sucks that if you kill a person who owns a house, the house is still locked to them and you can't sleep in the bed. Also, how the fuck does the town a mile away know I stole an apple and increase the price on my head for doing it? If I screw up and someone sees me stealing or killing, that's one thing, but psychic penalties really annoy me.

Guild Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Konata wrote:
Okay, so, um... there was a minor accident with an arrow and a chicken that resulted in almost the entire first town being slaughtered before I could finish any quests there. So I went to the next city where I was promptly thrown in jail, and from there I regathered lost supplies/gear and started doing quests there. So my question is... did I fuck up the main story line quest chain completely? I'd rather start over with only 4 hours lost than play another session and find out even later I can't beat the game.

On a side note, I think it sucks that if you kill a person who owns a house, the house is still locked to them and you can't sleep in the bed. Also, how the fuck does the town a mile away know I stole an apple and increase the price on my head for doing it? If I screw up and someone sees me stealing or killing, that's one thing, but psychic penalties really annoy me.

Usually in these games it's impossible to kill someone in the main questline for that reason. I wouldn't sweat it. If it becomes a game breaking issue for you 40 hours into the game, you can always just use the console to spawn that NPC. But like I said they're usually protected.

In past games someone DOES have to see you stealing the apple for it to count. Are you sneaking when you do it? I doubt they'd change that in this game because it removes the whole point of having thief skills.

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Tullen wrote:

Usually in these games it's impossible to kill someone in the main questline for that reason. I wouldn't sweat it. If it becomes a game breaking issue for you 40 hours into the game, you can always just use the console to spawn that NPC. But like I said they're usually protected.

In past games someone DOES have to see you stealing the apple for it to count. Are you sneaking when you do it? I doubt they'd change that in this game because it removes the whole point of having thief skills.

I wasn't sneaking because everyone except the few zombie villagers that kept standing back up with full life and the children were dead. Maybe the game glitched because of the weird circumstances, but I'm pretty sure I had bounty added when there was nobody around to see it.

Guild Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Konata wrote:
Tullen wrote:

I wasn't sneaking because everyone except the few zombie villagers that kept standing back up with full life and the children were dead. Maybe the game glitched because of the weird circumstances, but I'm pretty sure I had bounty added when there was nobody around to see it.

The "zombie villagers" were likely essential NPCs. The way it works is, if an NPC is needed for the main quest, you can only "knock them out". Not the most realistic thing I know, but it saves you from those type of concerns.

Also, I'm not 100% sure it works on this one, but previously if you accidently attacked someone you could hold down block and try to talk to "apologize".

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Day 2 in the chronicles of "Things in Skyrim that need to be modded":

Children need to die. Or if one of them mouths off to me, like almost every single one in the game so far, I should have the option of threatening them with death to get them to permanently piss off. There is nothing that makes me feel more murderous than kids running around the city yelling shit at me and knowing I am utterly powerless to do anything about it. I don't know why they would make immortal NPCs the most obnoxious in the game. This is Skyrim, not Walmart. I should not have to deal with them being assholes the entire time I'm in a city.

The ownership system in the game sucks. As I mentioned before, if I kill every person in a house, they should no longer own the house. And this applies to horses as well. I had a pretty awesome encounter today where I was out hunting at night, and right as daybreak hit, I was tracking down a deer. I just barely lost sight of it, and as I chased it over a hill, I stumbled onto a bandit camp. It had a ton of loot, a horse standing there, and only two bandits... which seemed odd. And then suddenly I saw on the horizon the deer I was after being chased by four bandits firing lightning at it. I don't know how this came to be, but while the deer distracted them, I killed the two at the camp, stole all the loot, and took the horse. I thought this was pretty awesome, and I had just gotten my first horse without stealing from someone in town. And then as soon as I got off it started to run away. And it still had the red steal text on it when I got back on. So I went to the help screen and checked the section on horses. It basically told me if you're a dirty thief (even from thieves) you're not going to ever own a horse, so go buy one from a stable.

I cannot tell you how much that single system frustrates me. In a Bethseda game that I am actually enjoying for once, where you can do the cool shit you want to do in combat and not be be terrible because it isn't one of the game's decent specs, and quest in practically whatever order you want to (I ended up getting a dragonstone I didn't even realize I'd need later early by exploring), they decided to lock down the ownership system into the most cut and dry method possible. I was looking forward to finding some cool place in the middle of nowhere where there was a group of wealthy bandits, or some douchebag I didn't like, and just taking his place for my own. I'd like to make a ranch of horses rescued from their bandit taskmasters. And that will never happen in the vanilla game. It's just incredibly disappointing, and I can only hope someone will mod it quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote

so i have a big problem. the fucking chicken in the first town. i simply have to kill it. everytime. the town proceeds to gangrape me. i respawn, yes, knowing full well that if i kill the chicken again, the same thing will happen, but i do it anyway.
illunit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Children need to die.

also, that.
Kiwiberry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote

illunit wrote:
Quote:
Children need to die.

also, that.

just wait for the mods to come out...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote

I usually do not play single player games. That being said, I usually always play Elder Scrolls games. Smile

It seems a bit buggy, but not unplayable so far. I've fallen through the world, crashed multiple times, and have found tons of graphical glitches.

The gameplay is fun and pretty much what I'd expect from an Elder Scrolls game. I'm kinda pissed that the item system is not as good as Morrowind, but whatever.

Ragdoll physics can cause interesting poses:

I've had arrows and frost bolts stuck in me for days. I guess they eventually fade with time, but I've been wearing this arrow and frost bolt for two in-game days. Also, the trees in the background are fucked up (latest drivers, NVIDIA 560).

Sometimes, the framerate decides it's time to dive to 1 per second. Loading into a house and out sometimes fixes it. Somestimes I have to restart the client. Sad

Senior Officer
Senior Officer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote

illunit wrote:
so i have a big problem. the fucking chicken in the first town. i simply have to kill it. everytime. the town proceeds to gangrape me. i respawn, yes, knowing full well that if i kill the chicken again, the same thing will happen, but i do it anyway.

I killed that exact same chicken, which lead to a manhunt after me, and the villagers all dead by the end of it. All over one chicken. Which btw, did end up killing a quest NPC, which has left an uncompleted quest in my log with a red X by his objective. Way to go making the useless up 24/7 innkeeper who I'd like to rob invulnerable but not the quest NPC.

Only tangentially related, I've yet to find a way to put a drawn bow back into rest position without shooting an arrow into the ground and hoping it spawns as a recoverable item so as not to waste it. As an example of what I mean, in Minecraft, if you draw back your bow, you can mousewheel or hotkey over to a shovel or sword and it will put the bow away without firing. I would like to be able to do that in Skyrim, but I can't figure out how.

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote

I got it on PS3. The game is amazing. As everyone has noted it's probably best on PC. I got it on PS3 so I can transplant my a$$ to a different room, plus see how it looks on the 55" LED. Would be cool to have some mods so I think that alone would be worth pc.

Few things on the PS3. Long load times and occasional frame rate issues. Also I'm a novice at best at these games. So after 3 hours of game play and i'm level 2, you know something is wrong. With me that is not the game. Because Those 3 hours felt like 20 minutes.

Also make sure you pick up one of the stone buffs at the beginning of the game. There are 3. One for warrior, one for mage, one for stealth. You only can activate one stone and have one buff at a time. It increases xp for those skills by 30%. Wish I knew that after I logged all those hours!!! Some people use the buff for their main skills while others use it to buff the xp on their secondary skills. Up to you how you do it. Its been recommended that you focus on one skill set so you can get the better abilities later. Think of them as talents and how the deep abilities are really cool. You can play anyway you want which is great for experienced players. Players like me however, without hand holding tend to make poor decisions.

So here is a good guide that lays out the races, what they would be best at, and different types of characters you can make.

right link is this one: http://www.gamesradar.com/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-beginners-guide/

oops this was wrong link but its ok
http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/11/tips-and-tricks-how-to-get-ahead-in-skyrim/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Which btw, did end up killing a quest NPC, which has left an uncompleted quest in my log with a red X by his objective. Way to go making the useless up 24/7 innkeeper who I'd like to rob invulnerable but not the quest NPC.

yes. i made a new game.

View next topic
View previous topic