· Members List
· Private Messages
· Rsclean
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Surveys
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 122 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Scalebane - An Alliance Guild on Eredar: Forums

Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar :: View topic - manga series

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic Reply to topic  Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar Forum Index » General
sheenha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote

What would be a good manga series to get as a present? I was thinking to buy some manga for my girlfriend for Christmas. Any series recommendations? Any ideas where to get part of the series? or maybe online link?

Last edited by sheenha on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Raunwynn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote

urotsukidoji

Senior Officer
Senior Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote

What kind of material does the person in question enjoy? Fighting, sports, romance, comedy, mystery, etc. I can give more suggestions if you specify, but I'll give a few off Amazon now.

Hunter X Hunter - Fighting, Adventure
http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Vol-1/dp/1591167531/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321521391&sr=8-1
This one is really good, and runs in a boys/teenage magazine in Japan, but it's considerably more bloody in certain points of the story than say Bleach. If the person interested is a teenager or older and likes this kind of story, I think it's WAY better than Naruto or Bleach.

Vampire Knight - Romance, Vampires
http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Knight-1-v/dp/1421508222/ref=pd_sim_b_66
This will probably be a huge hit with a fan of Twilight, but has some mild fighting and an interesting enough story from the five volumes I read to interest people who aren't a fan as well.

Ouran High School Host Club - Comedy, Mild Romance
http://www.amazon.com/Ouran-High-School-Host-Club/dp/1591169151/ref=pd_sim_b_23
This one is really fun. The premise is that a girl gets into a high class school on scholarship and while looking for a quite place to study, accidentally breaks an expensive vase in the room of a host club some of the rich boys are running. Because she looks like a pretty boy while cross dressing, they convince her to work off her debt by playing host. There are a lot of really funny and light hearted situations, and I highly recommend it.

Negima! Magister Negi Magi - Magic, Fighting
http://www.amazon.com/Negima-Magister-Negi-Magi-Vol/dp/034547046X/ref=pd_sim_b_29
Negima is a very interesting series. It starts out very much like the guy's other works with a Harry Potter meets the normal world school approach with mild harem antics, but as it continues it branches into a ton of genres with a fighting tournament, time travel, going to another world and a whole lot more. None of this author's works are ever explicit, but there is Barbie doll style and stealthily hidden nudity in baths and in service of running gags. It's still very good, and I follow the weekly Japan releases.

Full Metal Alchemist - Fighting, War
http://www.amazon.com/Fullmetal-Alchemist-Vol-Hiromu-Arakawa/dp/1591169208/ref=pd_sim_b_24
This one is about a pair of brothers who used alchemy to try and bring their mother back from the dead. As a result they created an abomination and one lost an arm and leg, and the other lost his entire body and had his soul bound to a suit of armor. So the join the army in order to get access to the resources to find a way to fix their bodies. I don't want to spoil anything since there are a lot of twists, but this very good as well. There isn't a huge amount of blood if I remember right, but there is some hard issues dealing with loss and death, so a younger person might not entirely get it.

Anyway, let me know something more specific and I'll recommend more in that line. And Raunwynn's recommendation is an adult erotic manga, just as a heads up.

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote

As a follow up, I didn't notice you said girlfriend in your post, and so I wrote some of those summaries thinking it might be for a kid. I don't think anyone in their teens or older would have a problem with any of those series. Again, let me know if there's a specific type of book or even a previous series (anime or manga) she liked, and I can suggest a few closer matches with links to grab them.

Also, if she wouldn't be insulted with used books, Amazon's prices from used vendors are VERY good and most of the time the damage is just yellowing of the pages in the Good-Very Good quality rating, and Like New of course is almost perfect condition.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote

Out of those listed, i'd probably go

1. full metal
2. hunter x hunter
3. negima
4. hajime

i wasn't a big fan of vampire knight and i didn't read ouran.

but those four are definitely good reads

View next topic
View previous topic