· Members List
· Private Messages
· Rsclean
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Surveys
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 136 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Scalebane - An Alliance Guild on Eredar: Forums

Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar :: View topic - OMG Adventure Game Legends are Back!

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic Reply to topic  Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar Forum Index » Other Games
Konata
Senior Officer
Senior Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote

So... there's been a figurative explosion of projects starting the last couple weeks by former Sierra adventure game designers.

The creator of Gabriel Knight, who also worked on Kings Quest VI, is opening a new studio and one of the three pitches currently being voted on is very close in concept to a Gabriel Knight game, just without the licensing issues. Her project is getting backing for a yearly cycle of game development. So if they get the inital $300,000 they're looking for, they'll be focused on one major game for the year and maybe a few smaller side projects. If they get $600,000, they'll try to make two of the major pitches come to fruiition since they'll be able to afford more people on the teams. The first year's funding is currently at 54% with 34 days to go.

The Kickstarter page for that is:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

--

Next, the creator of Leisure Suit Larry, Al Lowe, has basically reassembled the entire old team from the Sierra days to do a total overhaul of the original Larry games, one after another (assuming they get funded) with new hi-res graphics, bug and puzzle fixes and updates, the works. The studio they're releasing under has a license for the original games, and they think they could get the funding for an entirely new Larry game if the remakes go well. The first game is steadily gaining at 66% with 17 days left to go.

The Kickstarter page for that is:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leisuresuitlarry/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again

--

And last, but most certainly not least, the Two Guys from Andromeda team who created Space Quest have returned to work on a new Spaceventure. Not a huge amount is known yet, but they're trying to get the word out that something is coming. Personally I'm hoping they try to get enough funds to license Space Quest's IP for either a new game, or a series of remakes. Space Quest was hands down my favorite Sierra adventure series, and I'm really looking forward to whatever comes out of their crazy skulls.

Their website is:
http://guysfromandromeda.com/

P.S It's also worth noting that the Leisure Suit Larry team is reaching out and seeing what they can do to bring back other Sierra franchises. So there's always a chance that other beloved franchises could come back to life in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote

This is kind of where adventure gaming belongs.

It's not something worth spending giant hollywood-esque budgets on. Adventure games are entirely "clever meters." They make you feel clever, and they showcase how clever the developers are.

I am interested to see how long this holds out. I imagine the first wave of new adventure games will be fascinating and interesting, but they may once again fall into the trap of trying to out-ridiculous each other, leading to vague or obscure puzzle solutions that practically require a guide again. Hopefully not.

"I never had an opinion in politics or religion which I was afraid to own. A costive reserve on these subjects might have procured me more esteem from some people, but less from myself." -Thomas Jefferson
Konata
Senior Officer
Senior Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote

Durkheim wrote:
they may once again fall into the trap of trying to out-ridiculous each other, leading to vague or obscure puzzle solutions that practically require a guide again.

I find it funny that the way they knew for sure Larry 1 was pirated heavily was because way more people bought the hint book than copies of the game sold. I recall those hint books being non-trivial in price, so I guess they had some incentive to make the puzzles incomprehensible to sell hint books.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
So... there's been a figurative explosion

in my pants
Passion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote

I started my gaming life with Sierra Games...played them all. Especially the Kings Quests Series. The days of many 5" floppy disks...and a great day when they came on 3.5" disks!

Some of the new games by Big Fish I play on my Ipad..are really adventure games...find the lock find the key sorta games, which play well on the Ipad. Hoping someone creates a new one which lasts longer than a few hours. One of the best Adventure games played in recent memory was The Longest Journey, for those who never played one...I recommend it.

But unless they inhance it...I've grown past 10 pixel toons Smile

Guild Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote

Passion wrote:
I started my gaming life with Sierra Games...played them all. Especially the Kings Quests Series. The days of many 5" floppy disks...and a great day when they came on 3.5" disks!

Some of the new games by Big Fish I play on my Ipad..are really adventure games...find the lock find the key sorta games, which play well on the Ipad. Hoping someone creates a new one which lasts longer than a few hours. One of the best Adventure games played in recent memory was The Longest Journey, for those who never played one...I recommend it.

But unless they inhance it...I've grown past 10 pixel toons Smile

Konata and I used to play all the Sierra games too. My favorites were the Quest for Glory series, which was a bit of a blend of adventure and RPG. I was also very fond of King's quest and Space Quest.

Passion, did you check out any of the remakes of the old Kings quest games? http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

I'm also pretty excited about tablets as a medium to bring back adventure gaming, they're really well suited to the genre.

Last edited by Tullen on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Passion
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote

I did try one of the Kings Quest awhile back, such a pixelated world! Quite fun when you count the number of pixels on your toon....gaming graphics have come a long way.

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote

Passion wrote:
I did try one of the Kings Quest awhile back, such a pixelated world! Quite fun when you count the number of pixels on your toon....gaming graphics have come a long way.

I don't know if I can ever forgive Roberta Williams for making a 2 or 3 pixel wide path up the side of a whale in Kings Quest 4 where if you deviated by one pixel off the correct (invisible) path, you fell and died. Seriously, screw that puzzle.

As far as Kings Quest goes, I'd say Kings Quest VI is the best game in the series hands down. It was the pinnacle of the series' VGA engine before they went cartoon style, had an amazing story, great voicework, and the puzzles weren't broken like some of the games.

View next topic
View previous topic