· Members List
· Private Messages
· Rsclean
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Surveys
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 139 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Scalebane - An Alliance Guild on Eredar: Forums

Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar :: View topic - Blood Bowl

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic Reply to topic  Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar Forum Index » Other Games
Seraea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Hello everybody! I've been away from wow for a while but I still exist and come by the forums occasionally. I thought I'd put out an open invitation to a Blood Bowl league I'm interested in setting up as well as give some basic info about the game.

Blood Bowl is a game set loosely in Games Workshop's Warhammer universe. The idea is that while taking breaks from warring and killing each other the various races and factions created a game where they could war and kill each other under the guise of getting a ball across a field. Or something along those lines, in typical Games Workshop style there's an entire history and lore featuring famous teams and players, events, an evolution of the rules, etc.

The game originated as a table top game and recently(2009) got made as a computer game, conveniently distributed on Steam. The game itself is essentially a multiplayer turn based strategy game, focusing around team management between games and short-term strategies. 22 Races/Factions are available for play to accentuate a wide variety of playstyles and strategies.

The computer game also features an extensive league and tournament setup, which has been put on display by The Game Station(TGS) and inspired me to create a league as well. The invitation is open and we're expecting to have a 6-12 person league, depending on interest.

Here's some quick info about the game(3m) in an orderly fashion by Wowcrendor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTLCjFq3mac

And here's some extensive and much longer(57m) basics and general info by TotalBiscuit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSq3BR35JE

TLDR; Blood Bowl is an awesome turn-based strategy game, recently shown off by TGS, and I'm making a league and inviting people to play!

Edit: For anyone interested, you can find it here with a 20% discount. http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=blood+bowl 20% off with code: GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

Last edited by Seraea on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Nilja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote

About Blood Bowl.. Both the old Legendary and new Chaos editions are compatible for online play, the benefit of the newest one is access to 3 new teams, and a few additions in offline play.

I'll also be taking part in the league, but we hope to find a handful more people at least Smile
Tullen
Guild Master
Guild Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Looks pretty cool.

A few questions:

1) How long does a typical game take?

2) How much time commitment would joining the league require?

3) If someone quit, how badly would that affect the tournament?

4) Is it safe to assume you could buy the game and just play it casually without a league, to gauge how much you like it before joining a league?

5) Do you know if the game purchased on greenmangaming.com has a key that will work in Steam?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote

All very good questions! I'll answer as best as I can. I'll bold the TLDR answers.

1) A typical game takes between 45 minutes to 75 minutes. Each match consists of 16 rounds per player, separated by a half time after the 8th round. Each round can take up to 4 minutes, however, the full time is rarely necessary. Assuming both players take the full 4 minutes, a game can last up to 120 minutes or so.

2) The format of the league will most likely be a round robin followed by a tournament style finals. The most likely way we'll set it up will be to have one round per week. So the expected time commitment would be 45-75 minutes once a week.

3) Fortunately, the game has a system in place that accounts for forfeits. Should a player forfeit, the team that they're playing against receives credit for 2 touchdowns accredited to 2 random characters(3spp each), and one randomly selected mvp(5spp). (spp is star player points, the points gathered by characters to level and learn new skills). So a player quitting shouldn't have a huge effect on the tournament. Although it would certainly be discouraged.

4) Yes, it is! Although the game has a rather terrible UI for setting up games, it is possible to setup practice games online and I'd be happy to post an explanation of how to do that if anyone is unable to figure it out. There's also a pretty extensive single player experience. I wouldn't expect the league to start before everybody interested had ample time to prepare.

5) Yes, the game purchased on greenmangaming.com has a key that will work in Steam. Smile

View next topic
View previous topic