· Members List
· Private Messages
· Rsclean
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Surveys
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 157 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Scalebane - An Alliance Guild on Eredar: Forums

Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar :: View topic - Help me select my main & offhand weapons!

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic Reply to topic  Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar Forum Index » General
Calisa
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote

This is what I currently have to work with. Right now I''m a Seal Fate build with Imp Sap(30/2/19) considering the 21/8/22 build. Since I just got the Dal''rends I''m having a hard time deciding.

HeartSeeker: http://www.thottbot.com/?i=25585

Bonescraper: http://www.thottbot.com/?i=24339
(don''t have yet, but I''m working on it & would like to consider it in my decision)

Krol Blade: http://www.thottbot.com/?i=8407

Dal''rend Sacred Charge: http://www.thottbot.com/?i=23785

Dal''rend Tribal Guardian: http://www.thottbot.com/?i=18260
Konata
Senior Officer
Senior Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote

If you''re going dagger, I suggest either a Barman Shanker or Electrified Dagger (from Alterac Valley) mainhand, and a Julie''s Dagger, Bonescraper, or Distracting Dagger offhand.

For a combat build you have quite a few more options. You could go with the daggers above, a Dal Rends set, an Assassination Blade with dagger offhand, etc. Many choices depending on how you choose to specialize in combat.

To see how the damage all stacks up (at least in 1.7) check out this site here --> http://www.sk-gaming.com/wow/rogue/

Senior Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote

I should make an addition to this to explain to any interested rogues how I picked these weapons anyway. First and foremost, the mainhand weapons should all be as slow as possible. Now, you might be thinking that slow is bad, but think about it this way: If the weapon is heavier, and thus slower swinging, wouldn''t it do more damage upon hitting? Now, when you have a class with instant attacks such as rogues and warriors, those slower hitting weapons suddenly become much more valuable.

Now, the way Blizzard (currently) calculates weapon damage is that you get a bonus of damage from your attack power per second. The slower the weapon, the larger that bonus has to become to compensate for the per second calculation. So if the bonus was say 100 for a 1.0 weapon, the bonus would become 200 on every swing of a 2.0 weapon (like the Barman Shanker). With instant attacks this increased bonus from speed is very important. So, when looking for a main hand, find the slowest weapon with the largest damage range.

For those that don''t know, the Shanker''s stats look like this, which is why it''s a highly sought after (and thankfully farmable) dagger.

Barman Shanker
Main Hand -- Dagger
51 - 95 Damage -- Speed 2.0
(36.5 damage per second)
Requires Level 50
Chance on hit: Wounds the target
causing them to bleed for 100 damage
over 30 seconds.

For offhand weapons focus should be on as fast a dagger or sword as possible with as high DPS as possible. You will either be applying poisons or having it swing blindly for a bit of extra damage as offhand does not contribute anything to the calculation of instant attacks. Thus, I ended up choosing the Bonescraper for my offhand. It''s not quite as fast, however it has a very nice attack power bonus and falls without too much trouble from Baron Rivendare in Stratholme Undead Side. Its stats are below.

Bonescraper
One-Hand -- Dagger
40 - 74 Damage -- Speed 1.40
(40.7 damage per second)
Requires Level 57
Equip: +30 Attack Power.

<Forum software doesn''t allow manual spacing out of words or else they''d look more like in the ingame tooltips.>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote

Ya, perhaps I should''ve stated I''m concerned with after 1.8 comes out. Pre 1.8 it''s always been the slowest weapon for main & the fastest for off. 1.7 is easy, I''d just go Barman & Bonescraper. But Shanker is nerfed in 1.8 & HS is pretty much better since it has crit without the dumb proc. & it''d take me too much time to get any good weapons from BG. So I''m left with some combination of the above. I''ll probably use the Dal''rends until I can get a really good offhand to go with Krol or 2 really good daggers. What about mixing a sword with a dagger?
Konata
Senior Officer
Senior Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote

Well, I hate to tell you, but pretty much everything that applied before 1.8 still applies after 1.8. The slower weapons got nerfed, but they''re still better than the faster weapons. Blizzard appears to think this is a way of balancing the game. It''s actually an across the board nerf to all slow weapons, Shanker or not, because everyone will still use them mainhand because the fast ones still do less damage. They''ll do more than they used to, but not enough to merit using them mainhand. The damage ranges on fast weapons just arn''t enough to make them viable. So yeh, if you''re interested in daggers, the Shanker is still a sure bet to farm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote

Yes, but in 1.8 HS will be on par or even overall better then Shanker especially if you factor that it has +1 crit & doesn''t have the annoying proc.

People are just discouraged by the mats of HS, but lets say HS & BS were both gotten from Plugger. Then pre 1.8 most would go for BS & post 1.8 most would go for HS.
Calisa
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Cyria, out of curiousity what do you think if I dropped 2 points in Seal Fate in order to get Prep making it 28/2/21? Prep sounds so useful.
Durkheim
Raid Leader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote

The only reason to put more than 22 points into Assassination is for Sealfate. If you don''t find it useful, just go for the 22/8/21. I''ll post a bit more indepth later...I''m kind of busy.
Calisa
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Ok,

I''ve decided to stick with the Dal''rends. I got ''em, so I''d like to use ''em at least for a little while. When I get a couple really good daggers I''ll probably change, but for now I''m stocking with swords.

So.......

Now I''m left with choosing talents & enchants.

Imp Sap is a must for me so 18 in Subtlety is necessary. Prep would be cool, but I''d need to sacrifice at least 2 pts in SF to get it. I''m considering staying as is at 30/2/19, but I''d welcome suggestions.

I already enchanted the Offhand Dal with +15 agility, but I can''t decide if another +15 or Crusader would be best for the Main. Crusader is usually the best, but I dunno. 2 matching green swords certainly look cooler.

View next topic
View previous topic