· Members List
· Private Messages
· Rsclean
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Surveys
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 254 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Scalebane - An Alliance Guild on Eredar: Forums

Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar :: View topic - Dwarf Fortress Updated 2/14

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic Reply to topic  Scalebane - A WoW Alliance Guild on Eredar Forum Index » Other Games
Ruy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote

Dwarf Fortress was updated yesterday.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote

I started a new game. I figured I'd had it easy in the last few games I'd played, so I decided to make it harder on myself.

I made a map with tons of creatures, a low history, and tons of precious metals. I then placed my start point in a haunted region that is icy.

My first few minutes, I saw a corpse of an owl and a pigeon. I didn't think much about it until the corpse of the owl moved and killed one of my dogs.

The first thing I do is ring my start position with a trench. I didn't expect flying zombie owls to swoop in and start terrorizing my dwarves. They all scattered and my other dog took out one of the owls. The cats didn't do much.

One of the owls flew off, so I figured I'd be okay for a bit. That was, until the first dog killed rose from the dead and started chasing more dwarves. One of my oxen died and started attacking the other live oxen. It was total mayhem and I'd just barely been playing for five minutes.

Once the zombies walked off, my dwarves ran back and started finishing the trench around the start position to keep out non-flying zombies (the ox zombie is still out there somewhere). I began cutting trees to clear more of the trench.

The snow and ice started turning red, so I thought it was melting. It wasn't melting. It was snowing human blood. Blood snow made me want to take a break for a bit.

I think I may have started in too difficult an area.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote

Ruy wrote:
The snow and ice started turning red, so I thought it was melting. It wasn't melting. It was snowing human blood. Blood snow made me want to take a break for a bit.

Makes me want to play Mad
Kirlune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote

From this description, I'm pretty sure the creator of Dwarf Fortress is just building the console game from Ender's Game.
Tullen
Guild Master
Guild Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Well you got me playing again. I've only played briefly before so I'm still getting the hang of things.

I've gotten down most of the basics of keeping the fort fed and happy, and fended off my first siege.

The game really is like nothing else out there. The depth is just unbelievable.

For those of you who don't know anything about it, here is a cool illustrated story written about someones playthrough, a fun read even if you have no intention of playing:

http://www.timdenee.com/bronzemurder.html

To be clear this game isn't for everyone, the graphics look like they're out of the eighties/nineties, and the difficulty is completely unforgiving.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Tullen wrote:

To be clear this game isn't for everyone, the graphics look like they're out of the eighties/nineties, and the difficulty is completely unforgiving.

If you want to add graphics to Dwarf Fortress, I use Mike Mayday's tileset.

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Warning! If you have the 0.34.02 version from before the last major bugfix round (released 2/1Cool, then you have a save game corruption bug.

You'll have to restart with the latest version. The previously unfixed version will eventually crap out on you, if you are playing it. Sad

Officer
Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote

Tullen wrote:

For those of you who don't know anything about it, here is a cool illustrated story written about someones playthrough, a fun read even if you have no intention of playing:

http://www.timdenee.com/bronzemurder.html

That was awesome, I need to give this game a chance.

Guild Master
Guild Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote

Ruy wrote:

If you want to add graphics to Dwarf Fortress, I use Mike Mayday's tileset.

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

I've been using Phoebus. Both are available in the Lazy Newb Pack, which is a great way to get started.

I highly recommend using this tutorial to learn the ropes:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Quickstart_guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote

BTW - Don't let your dwarves stay outside, if blighted smoke starts floating across your map. It is very bad shit.

I'm seeing large blighted clouds every ten minutes or so on my current map. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote

A zombie owl took out my entire fortress.

Before this happened, I decided to go outside for a smoke and an owl was in the tree behind my house hooting at me. Such taunts.

http://youtu.be/b_FsObnR0fI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote

Ruy wrote:
A zombie owl took out my entire fortress.

Before this happened, I decided to go outside for a smoke and an owl was in the tree behind my house hooting at me. Such taunts.

http://youtu.be/b_FsObnR0fI

You'd shit your pants if you watched Fourth Kind tonight.

View next topic
View previous topic